Saturday, October 30, 2010

The general strategy

Here’s the layout of what I’m attempting. First, since I’ve written several self-help books, and compiled, edited, and published over two dozen more (all within the last 10 years), writing is no problem for me. The trick is to keep disciplined at it. The way I did it before was to target at 2500 words for one sitting every day. Just wind up the muse and let her rip…

So I figured that in also joining NaBlogPoMo, this would keep me at it. What will be interesting is to see how this all works out. Because I can do a line of asides all posted in advance, then put the main pieces out as I get to them. So some night up late, I might then not be able to get the early riser scene going (or, since I work on a farm otherwise, the strenuous labor often puts me to sleep early, and/or waking up late.)

This could be a very interesting scene. Figure that I start work on the novel (and you’ll notice that 2500 words is simply 20 days instead of 30). Then I post 7 or 8 segue-ways once a week and pre-date them. So every chapter then has some little point which then becomes part of that book. Should make the whole thing rather interesting.

Now having that many inter-points means that I should really write to the novel every day. But on the other hand, I might have 2 or 3 chapters which total 2500 words – so those glue-points would be used up quickly. Here’s the deal: if I need more mortar to building this novel, then I simply write more. (Did I tell you I was a bit over-prolific?!?)

So, Here’s to us all. Sunday being a day of rest, I’ll probably only work on my main characters and general plot – hitting it hard on the first with my first 2500-word installment.

Good luck to us all.

And – Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment