Monday, November 29, 2010

Journey done, new one starts – Marketing the Book

Winner 2010 NaNoWriMo contest! Well, thanks for hanging in there.

Not only did I finish the book on time, it’s the right length and everything, but it’s also published through Lulu to now appear in local bookstores everywhere – as well as on Apple’s iBookstore. Meaning that you can read this book as a paperback, a PDF download, or something on your Kindle or other portable reader.

What was left after all that writing is now marketing it. And, not too surprising, this means publishing it.

There’s a lot of details to publishing, but when you’ve published a few dozen books, it gets simpler.

On this book, I published it as a paperback and then took the next step to publish it to Kindles and hand-held readers as well. Some won’t take PDF’s, so I converted it to the “epub” format – it’s own learning curve.

First, though, I had to make a cover – like this:

dreamed-cover3D

Now, I made a flat version first, then tweaked it in Photoshop to make it look like a real book. Go ahead – click on it. Then you can see the actual paperback where you can buy it.

If you go to my Go Thunk Yourself self-help bookstore, you will also see the eBook version. Yes, it’s cheaper to buy it for your Kindle, since no trees are harmed in it’s production. (We don’t have to pay loggers, and printers, and warehouse workers – plus, you get it immediately.)

And of course, it doesn’t stop here. Next on the lineup is to give it it’s own mini-site, which will tell you more about the book and gives you more of my inside scoop on what it took to write it. Even though I give you substantial commentary in the last of this book just to fill in some of the various cracks I left.

Once the site is up, then I start creating some articles about dream interpretation and meaning, which will hit the article directories. You see, when a person writes a novel, there is some requisite research to make it believable. So I have some work to tell you all about what was learned about dreams and how these are probably the glue which holds this universe together – if not the nuts and bolts themselves.

Since there’s still a lot of work to do, I won’t bore you with the details of marketing. But look for it hitting a lot of different online formats soon. Real soon.

Because there are a lot more items on my Life to-do list..

No comments:

Post a Comment